Have a general question about employment law? Want to share a story? I welcome all comments and questions. I can't give legal advice here about specific situations but will be glad to discuss general issues and try to point you in the right direction. If you need legal advice, contact an employment lawyer in your state. Remember, anything you post here will be seen publicly, and I will comment publicly on it. It will not be confidential. Govern yourself accordingly. If you want to communicate with me confidentially as Donna Ballman, Florida lawyer rather than as Donna Ballman, blogger, my firm's website is here.

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Why Legal Marijuana Use Can Get You Fired

If marijuana use is legal in your state, or if you have a legal prescription for medical marijuana, are you safe from being fired? The short answer is no. Worse, if you work for a legal marijuana dispensary, you can still be convicted of a crime for doing your job.

Why? There are two big reasons legal marijuana use can get you fired. I discuss them, along with what legal rights you have if you are a legal marijuana user in my AOL Jobs column here.

Florida folks, pay attention. It isn't legal here yet, but medical marijuana is on the ballot, so we'll have to deal with these issues soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and general questions but this isn't the place to ask confidential legal questions. If you need an employee-side employment lawyer, try http://exchange.nela.org/findalawyer to locate one in your state.